Tuesday, September 18, 2012

"I know a little something about suppression of freedom of expression & press freedom' in the USA

My friend PL writes; 
"I know a little something about being "suppressed," having been there myself.  When I used to do foreign policy media appearances, I several times experienced the phenomenon of journalists contacting me to say that their editors or producers or network corporate executives had been contacted by prominent neocons (most of whom worked at right wing think tanks) who told these people various untruths about me. The most common one was that I was or had been a FARA registered agent of the Syrian or Lebanese government and that if the media outlet wanted to quote me, etc. they should state that I was a foreign country's agent.  On one occasion a reporter called me from L.A. to angrily demand why I had not told him that I was a foreign agent.  On another occasion the director of a major Washington "think tank" (an immigrant from Australia) called to demand that I confess to my "agentry."  When I said I would add it to my CV he said he was happy and hung up. (FLC adds, Martin IndykNone of this was true.  At one point I ran the family foundation of a rich Middle Easterner.  The foundation contributed money to the Council on Foreign Relations in New York City for the purpose of funding studies to support the Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process.  Henry Siegman was in charge of the process.  The resulting papers were given to the State Department and NSC to assist the process.  The FARA law specifies that if a foreign entity does anything that seeks to influence US foreign policy then the Americans involved must register under FARA.  Corporate counsel advised me that to be in strict compliance with the law I should register under FARA.  I  took his advice and registered as the "agent" (like any business agent) of the named individual who was the proprietor of the foundation.  I de-registered when I ceased to work for the man in 2006.On another occasion a prominent civilian historian of military/strategic matters (FLC adds, Fred Kagan)confronted me in the Green Room of the Newshour to say that I must be  an Anti-semite because I used the term "neocon" and according to this fellow that was mere code for "foreign policy Jew."So, I know a little something about suppression of freedom of expression and press freedom.  The problem with people who do such things is that they act without regard to any sort of code of honor, and indifferent to the truth or falsity of their charges.  They are concerned only with controlling "the narrative."  Nothing else matter to them.Maureen Dowd got a taste of it.  They will continue to pursue her.  pl "

No comments: