Thursday, June 2, 2011

We were on the threshold of negotiations with Syria ...and then I get a 'call': Nothing was the same again!

"We were on the threshold of negotiations with Syria. Israel was in a different situation in talks with the Palestinians, on the verge of a real possibility of a breakthrough, with tough decisions to be make regarding the south," Olmert said... "We were a day before a press conference with the Turkish foreign minister, the Syrian foreign minister and myself... We estimated that if that would have taken place, peace negotiations would have been over with in a very short time. All the parameters were already known. I went. It was an extraordinary occasion. After dinner, the Turkish prime minister spoke with the Syrian president," Olmert told the court.
But, Olmert said, on the other side were his personal affairs, "dealing with accusations... I know that such decisions can't be made with a dark cloud over your life."...
"The head of the Mossad called me," he said. "I see him regularly, but it's a rare occasion when the head of the Mossad calls you and says, 'I have to see you.'" Olmert described receiving information that an Israeli prime minister "rarely gets… I knew that from that moment on nothing will be the same." During Olmert's term in 2007, international media reported that a nuclear reactor was bombed in Syria..."

No comments: