Sunday, October 18, 2009

“I have a special relationship with Syria... But it is mainly in the interest of Lebanon.”


“.... The secretary general of France’s Elysee Claude Gueant Palace said, in comments published on Sunday that positive ties between France and Syria were beneficial for Lebanon.....
Asked by the Saudi-owned (Al Hayat) newspaper about beliefs in Lebanon that he was close to Syria, Gueant said: “I visit Syria a lot because I have built up a relationship with the Syrians and we want preserve this important link. It is important for Lebanon and the region too. “I have a special relationship with Syria. But it is mainly in the interest of Lebanon.”
Gueant said Syria did not have “a major influence on Lebanese political life or … political figures as some claim.” 
Asked if he thought a new war would erupt between Israel and Hizbullah with Syrian consent  Gueant said: “I don’t see any sign that would make me believe that Syria wishes something like that to happen. I believe that peace and stability in Lebanon are in Syria’s interest.”

No comments: